Good governance is all about leadership and making sure that an organisation is effectively and properly run. It is the role of the organisation’s management committee or board to ensure that their organisation is properly governed.
- Setting the strategic direction of the organisation and making sure that the organisation is doing what it set out to do.
- Making sure that the organisation complies with legal requirements.
- Making sure that systems and procedures are in place so that all of the organisation’s resources can be properly managed.
- Making sure that staff and volunteers are supported and supervised.
- Always acting in the best interests of the organisation.
- Being accountable to all those who have an interest in their work.
On a day to day basis, management committees can delegate some of this work to staff. However, the overall responsibility for governance stays with the management committee.